Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tai Chi Practice: "Doing Wrong" by Matthias Schossig



Thanks to Matthias for addressing the fear expressed to me by several students that they might somehow practice "wrong" at home. Read more tips about practice from David Parry-Jones. --Catherine

As to the question of your student, what one can do wrong, I have a few thoughts based on my own experience.

First of all, the student who asks this question already knows the answer, or else she/he would not have asked it. She probably just needs a confirmation. I am not sure if my thoughts will provide that confirmation.

I have learned from my study of music with Christiaan Boele, my singing teacher, and Bill Douglass, with whom I have studied the bass, that there is no such thing as a "wrong" note. The alternative is not wrong and right, it is conscious or unconscious, aware or unaware. If I practice Tai Chi or Chi Gong, I work with my whole body, with my external and internal senses (hopefully) turned on and not too much distracted by my thoughts. We are in the fortunate position at Body Balance to have teachers who are demonstrating and teaching very clear and consistent forms in various disciplines. Each and every student who is exposed on any level of instruction at Body Balance will learn in their own way, regardless what age or shape we are in. Lao Tzu says "The adept works for the internal body and not for the eye." Although there is something like an "objective form", towards which we strive in our practice, each one of us takes their own path and will approach and manifest the form in a different way. "The Lotus has a Thousand Flowers", and each one is different. None is rejected. So, my short answer is: No, you cannot practice wrong. The main thing is to turn on your internal senses, follow the flow of breath and chi in your body, take the suggestions and corrections your teacher is offering to heart and enjoy what the approach of your body to the form is doing for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment